Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm setting up an internship program for undergraduate college students at my local homeless medical clinic. What our primary purpose here is: providing no-cost health care to the homeless population, as well as limited support services such as assistance with applying for government benefits etc.

My internship program is probably going to attract a lot of pre-medical students, mainly because it's a health care setting, and there is a medical school just up the street. There are a lot of kids here who want to be doctors, so I'm expecting the majority of interested students to be pre-meds.

But my main goal is to attract a wide variety of diverse applicants, mainly because I want this program to stretch beyond purely medical care. I'd love to attract an art student who would like to set up an art therapy program at the clinic for our clients, or a marketing/communications major who would like to do PR work or development. I want to get away from the boring pre-med mold that we've been dealing with for so long now.

Essentially, we will tailor the internship duties to align with the selected applicant's interests as best we can. And we want someone different to the typical volunteer, someone very self motivated and directing, someone who can see an issue and develop a realistic solution to that issue fairly easily.

I am stuck on what to call the internship. I have no donors to name it after, and I think that naming it after the clinic seems boring (as do clinic management), but based on what I've outlined here does anyone have any ideas that spring immediately to mind?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

SLC

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Wouldn't an art therapist have to have some medical background?

I get the jist of what you're trying to do, I just don't know if you can do it adequately with just one program name. You may want to break up the focus a little- have different internship programs/names for different concentrations.

Does that make sense?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
All I got right now is:

Lend a Healing Hand

Credits for Caring

Care to Share

I'll try to think of more later, it's for a good cause.;) Let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
All I got right now is:

Lend a Healing Hand

Credits for Caring

Care to Share

I'll try to think of more later, it's for a good cause.;) Let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

Yes you are heading in the right direction, thank you very very much.

SLC

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Wouldn't an art therapist have to have some medical background?

I get the jist of what you're trying to do, I just don't know if you can do it adequately with just one program name. You may want to break up the focus a little- have different internship programs/names for different concentrations.

Does that make sense?

We're not looking for an actual art therapist per-se, but maybe something like a student who would like to supervise art classes, teach the homeless how to express themselves through some artistic medium, and coordinate with our behavioral/mental health professionals to allow people to talk over their feelings as they come to the surface through art.

There's also a program in Texas somewhere that one of our employees knows about that brings people off the streets during the hottest part of the summer, they do art inside, and then at the end of the year they sell it at an art show. He's got a ton of really neat pieces hanging in his home to this day from when he was living there.

I'm mainly just hoping that we can get some applicants with some fresh ideas for projects outside of the typical pre-med who only wants to learn to draw blood and get patient care experience.

SLC

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I'm mainly just hoping that we can get some applicants with some fresh ideas for projects outside of the typical pre-med who only wants to learn to draw blood and get patient care experience.

SLC

Then I think it would be good to do a separate campaign to attract those types of people.

You just said what you needed. Put the word out there that in addition to your usual pre-med students, you also want these types of people. A name alone isn't going to do it. It's not enough.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Then I think it would be good to do a separate campaign to attract those types of people.

You just said what you needed. Put the word out there that in addition to your usual pre-med students, you also want these types of people. A name alone isn't going to do it. It's not enough.
What Lee said.

A great internship name isn't going to get what you want... knowing what you want and marketing those needss to internship coordinators at the local schools will get you what you want.

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Friends on Fourth

Get the medical junk out of it. ;)

I think you hit the head right on the nail.

However, attracting pre-med students one might need a decent description of the duties a medical student would have.
Pre-med students tend to be logical and don't go for flashy signs and whatnot. I know this because I grew up among them. :rolleyes:
The art students are just the opposite.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Oh, I think there's some confusion about the program and my plan here. And it's entirely understandable because I didn't outline my recruiting plan.

Yes I have planned all along to recruit very heavily among the non pre-med parts of campus. I'll be visiting the marketing, art, business, computer science etc areas of campus to speak with counselors, hang fliers, and petition in front of classes whenever possible. I'm not relying on the name to attract the people I want, that would be a stupid plan. No, I'm just thinking that "Fourth Street Internship Program" is a little boring, for the program in general and I'm just plain out of ideas. I'll go out and recruit the people I want, but I need a good name for the program is all.

Thanks for the suggestions that have been made, and keep them coming I think one or two that have been put forward are quite good, and I'd be interested in hearing anything else you've got.

SLC

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I think you hit the head right on the nail.

However, attracting pre-med students one might need a decent description of the duties a medical student would have.
Pre-med students tend to be logical and don't go for flashy signs and whatnot. I know this because I grew up among them. :rolleyes:
The art students are just the opposite.

Oh- I hear ya. But still, it could work. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.